You were just enjoying the cool relief from the summertime heat and humidity, when all of a sudden, the air conditioner breaks down! Whether it’s the middle of a weekend night or when you have a house full of guests, there is no convenient time to have an air conditioning problem. With years of experience, our service technicians at American Comforts One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning explain the steps to take immediately following an air conditioner break down.
Survey the Situation
- Take a few moments to survey the situation to see if there is a way to resolve the air conditioner problem:
- Check whether power is out to your home. If so, report the outage to the utility company.
- If your home has power, check the circuit breaker to the air conditioner. It may have tripped.
- Check the power cord of the system. Someone may have unplugged it.
- Check the thermostat. Someone may have changed the setting or shut off the system.
Ventilate the Home
Homes built in the past 50 years are built for air conditioning. The indoor temperatures will quickly rise, especially on a hot and sunny day. High temperatures may cause people to become ill and extreme temperatures can cause death. Ventilate the home by:
- Open the windows.
- Set up box, window or stand fans for circulation.
- Turn on ceiling and exhaust fans.
- Stay hydrated.
- If indoor temperatures reach more than 100F, seek shelter elsewhere, such as a library, shopping center or a friend’s house with air conditioning.
Call for Help
Call our service department for repairs. During hot weather, air conditioner problems can become rampant. The sooner you call, the sooner we can fix the problem.
At American Comforts One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning, our Chicago air conditioning company is here to ensure your comfort day and night all summer long. When you need an emergency AC repair, we get the job done quickly, correctly and courteously. For more information about emergency air conditioner repairs, call us today at 773-496-4005.