Choosing the right contractor for heating and air conditioning maintenance, repairs and installation requires a little research. Here are some tips to making the best possible choice before you spend your hard-earned cash.
- Shop and compare. Find out about license and insurance requirements for HVAC contractors in the Chicago area, and know what type of service you are looking for before you start making calls. Knowing what you want can help the contractor to better understand your circumstances.
- Referrals and references. Ask your friends, neighbors, and family members to refer you to a heating and cooling contractor they’ve hired in the past and felt comfortable with. Knowing who others trust can weigh heavily on your decision. Also, check any references offered by the HVAC specialist.
- Special offers. Because a heating and cooling system is a very large, costly purchase, look for ways to save. Most contractors offer installation specials, and you can also receive rebates in the Chicago area with energy-efficient ENERGY STAR qualified equipment (which will also save you money in the long run on operating costs).
- Home evaluation. When the contractor comes out to your home to provide an estimate, the technician should inspect your home’s current system to better assess your heating and cooling needs. Sometimes, a larger system isn’t necessary, even if your current heating and cooling unit doesn’t seem to be sufficient for the job. Knowing the current set up and functionality will aid the contractor in determining the best solution for your unique situation.
- Estimates. All estimates should be written and itemized for your review and approval. This will help you more easily compare Chicago heating and cooling contractor proposals, line by line, to see where you can save. When you choose your preferred estimate, sign the paperwork prior to allowing the contractor to start work. This will protect you from increased project costs by specifying the charges, model numbers, job scheduling, and warranty information.
Overall, a little preparation goes a long way in making sure you are satisfied with the performance of a Chicago HVAC contractor. Following these bits of advice will assist you in determining the right contractor for your particular job.