Indoor air quality (IAQ) is an extremely important health topic, one that can get overlooked and often taken for granted. Do you or any family members suffer more and more from allergies, headaches, fatigue, or sore/irritated throat, eyes and lungs? Do you tend to feel better when you leave your house and spend time outdoors? The root cause of these symptoms could be unclean air in your home, and the solution(s) could be quick and relatively simple to put in place.
Here’s a list of potential sources you can check yourself to help gauge whether you have an indoor air pollution problem (American Lung Association):
- Is anyone smoking indoors? No one should, says the ALA.
- Can you see or smell mold or mildew?
- Is the humidity level above 50 percent?
- Are there any leaks or standing water anywhere – in your kitchen, basement or attic?
- Are all fuel-burning appliances (gas stoves, water heaters, fireplaces) fully vented to the outdoors?
- Are household chemicals, paints or solvents stored indoors or in a garage or basement?
- Have you recently remodeled or added new furniture, carpeting or painted?
- Do you use odor-masking chemicals or “air-freshening” devices?
- Have you used pesticides recently?
- Have you tested your home for radon? Although radon doesn’t cause noticeable, physical symptoms, you should test your home for this dangerous substance.
We advise our customers to change home HVAC system filters every three months, or more often depending on recommendations from the manufacturer. Your HVAC filter may clog more frequently if you have pets (fur tumbleweeds anyone?) or a lot of energetic feet running in and out of your home, tracking in lots of dirt and dust.
The EPA says inside air is typically 2-5 times dirtier than outside air and can be up to 100 times dirtier. Dust, mold, allergens and diseases build up in your homes ventilation system, and normal air filters fail to catch them since they’re designed to protect furnaces and air conditioners from large amounts of dust, not people from damaging molecules.
All of this is complicated by the design of modern, energy efficient homes. Since the energy crisis of the early 1970s, homes have been built much more tightly to conserve energy by keeping cold air out in the winter and hot air out in the summer. The flip side to energy conservation is Tight Home Syndrome, where dirty, sick and stale air is locked inside. But…you CAN control the quality and freshness of the air in your home!
You can get rid of 97% of dangerous particles with Indoor Air Quality products and services from American Comfort’s One Hour Heating and Air Conditioning, located in Elk Grove Village IL and serving the greater Chicago region. Consider these solutions:
3 Step Service Plan
- Have us inspect and clean your ducts, heating and cooling systems. We will look for visible mold, dust, dirt or anything else that can pollute your home and you’ll know the exact state of your indoor air quality.
- Choose from our whole house air purification products that eliminate up to 97% of particles down to 0.3 microns (molecule size). We guarantee you’ll be satisfied how they work or we’ll remove them and refund your money (you can test for 90 days). Products include Time Release Pan Treatment, Fantastic Filter (500% more effective than fiberglass furnace filters), MicroPower Guard (polarized media air cleaner), Air Scrubber (reduces and absorbs odors and toxic compounds and leaves your home smelling fresher than laundry right out of the dryer!), and Coil Scrubber (ultraviolet germicidal air purifier that reduces mold, germs and bacteria).
- Sign up for our new Protection Plan – as low as $15.95 per month. You can be first in line for service if you ever need HVAC repairs, even on the hottest/coldest days when calls are the highest (guaranteed within 24 hours). You’ll receive up to 15% savings off repairs, and we’ll perform Super Tune-ups once a year to make sure your HVAC system lasts up to twice as long. And should you need new equipment, you’ll enjoy special discounts.
Call our super friendly customer service team today with any questions or to schedule an appointment to have one of our technicians inspect and clean your ducts and ventilation system, and go over indoor air quality solutions for your home and family. Call 847 296-3444, 773 295-22970 or 630 246-2199. You’ll be served by a team super focused on providing the highest quality service and products possible. View more than 340 online reviews to see what our customers are saying about us!