When it comes to household energy consumption, your HVAC system tops the list. According to Energy Stary, as much as half of the energy used in the average American home is attributed to heating and cooling. Here are some tips to help Chicago area homeowners conserve energy use on Earth Day and beyond, to be good stewards of the environment and your wallet.
- Change HVAC filters regularly – we highly recommend changing your air filter monthly or as noted by your system manufacturer – more often if you have pets or respiratory issues in the family. A clogged, dirty filter causes more stress on your heating and cooling equipment, making it less efficient. Regular changes will also improve the air flow and air quality in your home.
- Trim bushes near outdoor HVAC equipment – make sure your outdoor HVAC system is free of obstructions, like bushes, branches, grass etc. Your system has to work double time when air circulation around it is restricted.
- Tune Up time – Spring is tune up time for your air conditioner. Make sure you have your cooling system expertly inspected and cleaned before hot weather sets in. This will help improve efficiency, reduce breakdowns, and extend equipment life.
- Install a programmable thermostat – or a WiFi based control. This enables you to precisely control the temperature in your home, from anywhere, including your smartphone. New smart technology allows you to program your system to use less energy when you’re away from home or asleep at night. And this technology can be quite affordable.
- Seal ducts – one of the most impactful things you can do to improve energy efficiency is to have your HVAC ducts sealed. It’s estimated that some 85% of homes have significant duct leakage, which can cause you to lose a third of heated or cooled air. Read this blog post to learn more.
For more information about ways to save energy in your home, contact our friendly team at American Comfort’s One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning. We have been proving On-Time, expert heating and cooling maintenance, repair and replacement service to the greater Chicago area for more than six decades. Our customers consistently rate us higher than any other HVAC company in the entire midwest. For commercial HVAC, visit our colleagues at American Comfort HVAC.