While most maintenance elements of a home’s heating and cooling system should be left to HVAC professionals, there are things a homeowner can and should learn to do, like changing the furnace filter. The main purpose of HVAC (heating, ventilation & air conditioning) filters used to be protection of the motor and internal parts of a furnace. New and improved filters can now play an important role in improving indoor air quality (IAQ) by keeping unhealthy particles out of the air that you and your family breathe every day. And since most of us spend a majority of our time indoors, having the right furnace filter in place is nothing to sneeze at (bless you).
Here are some tips to help you choose the right filter, from your HVAC and Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) experts at American Comfort’s One Hour Heating and Air Conditioning, Elk Grove Village & Chicago IL.
Get to Know Merve
Every HVAC filter has a Minimum Efficiency Reporting Values (MERV) rating that ranges from 1 to 20. A higher number means a filter will keep smaller particles from circulating throughout your home’s ventillation system. A high MERV improve IAQ, and this can be especially important if anyone in your family suffers from asthma, allergies, or other respiratory conditions.
Examine These Filter Options
There are a variety of furnace filter types…each with benefits and limitations:
- Disposable fiberglass filters are easy on the wallet, but aren’t very helpful with air purification.
- Disposable pleated filters dip a little more in the pocketbook, but have more positive impact on air quality. The downside: they can impede airflow, causing your system to work harder, resulting in higher operating costs.
- Electrostatic filters come in disposable and permanent types. If someone in your family smokes or has allergies, this could be a wise choice. They remove contaminants from the air and the permanent, resuable type last on average from 6 to 8 years. Regular maintenance is required and we recommend vacuuming monthly, and washing every three months.
- High-efficiency pleated filters are used in hospitals because they excel at catching extremely small particles and thus provide the best IAQ. They’re pretty expensive, but are the best choice if someone in your home has respiratory problems or a compromised immune system.
Balance Budget & Lifestyle Needs
Weigh the factors. A filter with a high MERV means better air quality. Are there health factors in your family to consider? Pets can present additional air quality issues. If you’re concerned about cost, then a mid-range filter could be adequate. If you have any doubts or questions, we’re happy to answer any questions you might have and provide an honest assessment of your situation. Whichever filter you choose, make sure to change or clean it as recommended by the manufacturer.
Did you know: you can get rid of up to 97% of dangerous air particles in your home with Indoor Air Quality Products and Services from American Comfort’s One Hour. Here are some of the products we offer that can greatly improve air quality in your home:
- Fantastic Filter – MERV 8 rated, electrostatically charged filter media captures airborne allergens including mold spores, cat and dog dander, pollen and dust mites. 100% synthetic media will not absorb moisture or support growth of bacteria, mold or fungi.
- Micropower Guard – Diamond air cleaner generates an active electromagnetic field to charge both the airborne particles & the fibers of the disposable carbon-filled media pad. Polarized particles stick to both the media and to each other, creating a virtual force field within the ductwork, capturing 97% of the most dangerous-to-breathe submicron airborn particles at 0.3 microns.
- Air Scrubber – Helps control pet & litter box odors, smoking odors, cooking odors, toxins, gases, fumes & allergens. UV Technology widens your options for keeping fresh air circulating in your home.
- Coil Scrubber – Ultraviolet germicidal air purifier reduces mold, germs & bacteria.
For questions, or to schedule an appointment for any of our furnace / HVAC services, call any of the numbers at the top of the website. If you haven’t had your furnace check-up for the winter season, we offer the best Tune Up available for just $79 (first time customers, see coupon above).
American Comfort’s One Hour Heating and Air Conditioning, Elk Grove Village IL is the top rated HVAC company in the Chicago area. We offer convenient service appointments seven days a week, including Sundays, and our 24/7 emergency repair service means help is just a phone call away, any day or time of the week. Our rates are the same, whether day, night, weekend or holidays. Our guarantees are the best in the industry, including “Always on-time…or you don’t pay a dime!”